Pages

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Tutorial Week 3 ● Reflection

This week’s tutorial task was much more difficult compared to the one before. We had to answer four questions given based on Communicative Language Teaching (CLT). At our first discussion on this tutorial task, we didn’t quite know how to answer the questions as we were all quite confused. We then divided tasks where we explained our findings to one another after we’ve completed it.
After tutorial class, we realised our answers weren’t even close to what Miss JC has answered and explained. We only manage to come out with few theories that are correct; even so, we did not really understand the meaning of the theories in CLT. It took us quite some time to re-read and understand what is CLT and how we should apply it.


I guess it never really occurred to me that CLT plays a big role in language teaching. Having known about CLT from last semester’s SLA course, I thought it was just a part of the sociocultural theory of SLA and there are only few things to follow. Well, now I see that there is more to CLT than I thought. Looking at the different components in the communicative competence, I am able to see how it helps learners to learn. It is encouraging to see how CLT allows learners to learn through negotiation of meaning between speaker and hearer or reader and writer. I’ve always thought CLT is only about speaking and listening; hence, it was interesting that CLT includes the communication between writer and speaker.

Reading the three articles provided, I began to really understand what CLT is all about. And reflecting back to the days when I was in high school, I am really glad that my teacher were one of the teachers that implements CLT in the classroom. I still remember my teacher would always conduct activities where we were required to give opinions and share our experiences.

Reading through the principles of CLT, it made me remember one of the lessons in my Form 5 English class.  I can’t remember which topic the lesson was on, but it was one of the lessons I’d never forget. Miss Wong talked about her experiences on how she was terrible at rearing animals. She elaborated on each animals she reared (a dog, a rabbit, a tortoise, and hamsters) in which the animals either ended up escaping or moving on to the next life. Not only were the stories humorous, Miss Wong included us while she was telling the story. She would asked us how one actually rears a rabbit, and asked our opinions on whether or not one should bathe hamsters, etc. Of course, she would want us to express ourselves in the target language – English. After asking, she would continue sharing her experiences. Explanation on certain words or phrases were also given to ensure that we all understand. It was the first (and I think the last) time I saw all my classmates so interested and eager to share their opinions and listen to Miss Wong.

Looking at the experience mentioned above, I could see that Miss Wong had applied CLT in her lesson. The language used in that situation was informal, but it was appropriate at that situation. There are also times where we were required to speak formally and use the proper linguistic items. Miss Wong always made it clear on when we needed to be formal or informal depending on the situation (strategic & discourse competence). Reflecting back, it is very encouraging to see that CLT was applied in my lessons. J

As a future language teacher, I would definitely try my best in applying CLT in my teaching. However, I feel that both accuracy and fluency have the same importance. Sticking to a little more ‘traditional’ way, I would want to try my best in also focusing on accuracy even though I know it isn’t easy. Also, I would try my best to make students feel at ease when I teach as I don’t want to make them feel pressured to speak in English; that would defeat the purpose of CLT. Having been a student before, and having friends who hates speaking in English, I know how it feels to be pressured to speak in class. Hence, I will try my best in finding ways to ensure my learners express themselves without being pressured where they can learn the language at the same time. J


*This reflection was written on the 5th of November. The date was changed because I thought it'd be better if it was posted after the respective task.

0 comments:

Post a Comment