Pages

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Tutorial Week 7 ● Reflection

For the tutorial this week, we were required to sketch out a digital language learning material (DLLM) interface and explain our concept based on week 7’s lecture notes and articles given. I am thankful that I was exposed to digital learning materials in my first semester but I only knew a little about it. All I knew was that the materials used were tools related to the computer and Internet. Therefore, this week’s lesson on DLLM allowed me to understand it better and I really enjoyed reading about it.

I’ve learnt that in creating materials/DLLM, we have to consider many aspects such as the learning objects and materials, the usability of that particular material, etc. We have to see how practical is the material and how would learners accept it or use it as a language learning material. Seeing how the DLLM corresponds with the needs of the learners and the pedagogical usability. I realised DLLM is not created because we want the material to be interesting and students will pay more attention in class; besides that, it has to focus on how language is being learnt and how learners can use these DLLM to improve and apply in their daily lives.

I enjoyed this tutorial as it allowed us to create a DLLM in whatever way we wanted. I enjoyed searching through the Internet to find suitable websites and software that are interesting, fun and most importantly, user friendly. We chose ToonDoo as we found that it was practical and it had the ‘criteria’ we wanted. We thought its very user friendly and it will not be difficult for high school learners to use it. After deciding on the suitable website/material, we created a comic strip and came up with questions that will enable learners to use the website to answer the questions given.

This week’s tutorial task was definitely fun and helpful as I learnt more about DLLM and how it is important to not just create a DLLM for the sake of having an interesting activity, but to create a DLLM to aid and enhance one’s language learning process. I will definitely follow these theories and principles in designing an interesting and useful DLLM for my learners next time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment