Pages

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Week 8 ● Reflection

In this week’s tasks, we were asked to compare and contrast the different adaptation techniques between Maley and Tomlinson, McDonough and Shaw and also Masuhara. We were also asked to compare and contrast the materials adaptation procedures. Looking the techniques and procedures, I realised it’s all almost similar, it’s the terms that are different. It was a good task as I feel that it is necessary for teachers to adapt their materials to fit the students’ learning context and objectives.

Materials adaptation is something I feel has to be applied somehow or rather as no two classrooms are the same. By adapting the materials, learners will be able to learn better as the materials can fit them better. Despite that, it is really up to the teacher to choose to apply these techniques of adaptation as some teachers may think the textbook and material itself is good enough for every students.

I remember back in high school, my friend from a different class were discussing about our English teachers and we were comparing the teachers and how they taught. I remember how my friend complained that the teacher follows the textbook and never changes or make the class more interesting which in turn resulted in the class being boring and uninteresting. On the other hand, my teacher would always add activities, modify the materials to suit our class. It was fun and engaging and we were given chances to interact more in the class and do extra activities which made us love our English lesson.


In my opinion, teachers should at least try to adapt the materials in suiting the learners as it will be much more effective. By having these techniques and procedures, I would definitely try to apply materials adaptation to enhance my teaching next time.

*This reflection was written on the 18th of December. The date was changed because I thought it'd be better if it was posted after the respective task.

0 comments:

Post a Comment